My parents named me Laurel, after the mountain laurel flower, but I've always gone by Laurie. I feel like I've spent my whole life trying to be what other people would find acceptable, and it hasn't been until recent years that I've thought more about how GOD would like me to be. He wants my heart to be seeking after HIM and not the approval of man. So, this is where I will be working out my thoughts, removing the masks (even my nickname!), being real, and making a FREAK of myself! ha ha Any other Jesus Freaks or just freaks in general or even non-freaky people are welcome to read, discuss, encourage, or be encouraged. Welcome to my brain . . . and my heart. :)

Thursday, February 20, 2014

Invisible Me



I have no idea why, but I was thinking this morning about how invisible I probably am to people who don't know me.  Like, when I'm grocery shopping, I always see people I know and we stop to chat.  And it's fun.  But, to those who are strangers, I likely blend in with all of the other people in the store.  I'm nothing special.  I don't typically go out looking like a slob or someone who would show up on that People You See At Walmart website, thank goodness.  On the other hand, I don't have an air of importance or power, either.  I'm just pretty "normal."  Average.  Invisible.

[Tangent: Come to think of it, I also sometimes feel invisible in a crowd of familiar people. That's no one's fault.  It's just that, though I LOVE people and LOVE to interact with them, I'm an introvert by nature.  Crowds can sometimes overwhelm me. I used to hate that about myself.  Occasionally, I still do. End of tangent]

The full life I live hardly seems unimportant, though, as I go from one minute to the next, accomplishing what the Lord sets before me to do.  I'm in no way a prestigious person, just busily fulfilled.  I'm a wife, a mom, a homeschool teacher of one, a Sunday school teacher, a writer, an editor, a keeper of a church library (sort of), a daughter, a sister, a friend, an aunt, a neighbor, a loser of weight (I'm losing weight, that is! ha ha), a cancer survivor (not even a year yet), a worrier, a learner, a wisdom-seeker, a homemaker, a wanna-be author, and, most importantly of all . . . a child of the Most High God!

So, in other words, I guess appearances have nothing to do with importance.  I'm no more important than anyone else, but I'm no less, either. And if no one on earth were to ever notice me, I'd still have the complete attention of the only One whose attention I should be seeking!  I've heard this for many years, but it's taking awhile to know it.  To believe it.  To live it.

How many people in the store are invisible to me, as I search for the perfect pomegranate or compare cereal prices?  How many people walk by me who feel invisible?  They are just as real as I am, and likely have lives that are just as full as mine. At the end of the day, I know Who sees and loves me, but do they know how they are loved by Him?  Would "Invisible Me" ever dare to walk up to one of them and tell them?

Hmm . . .

But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved— and raised us up with him and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, so that in the coming ages he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God,  Ephesians 2:4-9



3 comments:

Amelia said...

I bet your sweet spirit is a witness to others. : ) Just a big smile and a little convo starter in line really turns into some nice conversation at the store I've found...Sometimes it's just a "God Bless you" and a great big smile. I've felt impressed to wear a cross necklace so the people at the store will know who I serve and why I do the things I do or don't do...Hopefully they'll *see* Children of the Father. Tracts are wonderful too to prayerfully give out. (sweet tracts): )

You tickle me, you remind me of me! ha! I'm an infp personality and am a bit of an introvert with extrovert tendencies...

Have you ever seen the youtube with a mom talking about being invisible. I posted it on Vision for a Godly Home, and I SO need to post it again, sometimes I feel like that too. It's a poignant video but encouraging.

Big hugs coming your way dear one, enjoying your blog.
xxxoooo love, Amelia

Laurie said...

Hi Amelia! I'm not sure if I've seen that video, but I can look for it.

It's funny, because a lot of things you say remind me of me, too. lol

Much love,
Laurie

Amelia said...

Maybe I'll post that video this week! I think all of us need the sweet reminder! : )

Hope you are having a sweet Sunday Sister, love you bunches! ~Amelia